Unit 10: Video Analysis

                            BBC Ident Analysis

The first ident was 3 men in wheelchairs who were making rhythmic movements, almost like a dance around half a basketball court. The original music piece was a very chill, and mellow hip hop beat with occasional record scratches to add a hint of authenticity. I felt that it was too slow and needed a more upbeat tempo so I set mine to 120bpm. I found a funky hi-hat loop and decided to loop it through-out the indent as I wanted that element of repetition and simplicity. The drums almost acted like the metronome for me as it kept everything in time, including the wheelchair dancers in the video. I used a Liverpool bass to add more of a grove the track. I injected the saxophone into the music piece to give it more colour and life because without it was bland. The piano brought the track to a close, like a soft melodic conclusion, as it was followed by just the bassline. I stripped away everything else and left the bass as although the video was coming to an end, the dancers were still energetic and the bassline provided the track with the last push of energy. Had I emulated the original track and decided to go with a chill vibe, it would have been too slow and wouldn’t fit the track well. I could have been hyper aggressive and added a dirtier guitar and possibly sub bass, however that would take away from the light-heartedness of the video. I could have added more staccato like sounds when the dancers were making jerking movements and that would of have improved the piece. Also as it was set on the basketball court I could of added more sounds that fitted the surroundings such as: squeaking of shoes on the floor, ball bouncing, ball going through the net and possibly a whistle. After reviewing it once more I’ve also come to the conclusion that due to my fear of making it too energetic I failed to make it energetic enough. Despite the changes I could have made I am satisfied with the outcome as I managed to keep it funky but light hearted at the same time.

Cbeebies Ident Analysis

This ident is for children’s channel so I played the instruments very loosely with no real structure. Very sound random sounds with no melody in mind. I had to think about how a child with no musical experience would put together this piece. I used xylophone because I imagine that that instrument is used when doing nursery rhymes. There’s something very innocent about the xylophone which I wanted capture. As the green things reminded me of cells I wanted to create a watery effect, so I used the liquid flute. This created a sound similar to jelly wobbling and or bubbles under water. If I approach the piece in a structured melodic way that could have worked also, however because the green thing were so free flowing I wanted to showcase that in the music.

Channel 4 Ident Analysis

When I saw the blue background and the white specs going across it I knew I wanted to make the track lively. The bassline I used instantly grabs your attention. Then comes in the hi hats and snare which make the beat flow well like the spec. The guitar riff was added to give the piece more character.


Karate Video

The video is an informative martial arts video of a master and student going through different moves and techniques. It serves as a tutorial for the viewer. The video includes a series of slow motions snippets and then nearer to the end real time clips some of which sped up, so a whole spectrum of different speeds. The original music piece that went along with the video was heavy metal throughout. For this piece I decided to use more traditional sounds. In the very opening as the white screen appeared and before the actual video began I used a Chinese Kit Gong as an introduction. The name of the instructor and the establish showed on screen. I felt the gong worked perfectly with it as in ancient China that’s was how they would introduce visitors as they entered the Emperors hall.  I found two Chinese loops and used the first for 2/3 of the video. This gave the video a much more traditional and authentic feel. I recorded myself making a Bruce Lee like sound just for fun and because it added to the authenticity. Then as the video progressed I added more on the Chinese drum kit. The movements were slow in the video so I contrasted that with the speed of the drums. The Chinese flute provide the video with a melody which complemented the drums with a bright feel. The breathy vocals section was added to slow the track back down. With reverb added on it gave the vocals an airy feel. Slow sound to match the slow montage. Also removed the drums from the section just leaving the loop and vocals. This made it very minimalistic as possible for this slow section. I then brought back only one set of the Chinese drum kit as the video was coming to a conclusion and faded out the loop through automation. I could have added more rustling sounds and thumps when the master was throwing the student to the floor to make it more realistic. More quiet gong sounds to fill in blank spaces.



The Commuter Trailer

Firstly I used hit points in order to plan out precisely what sounds at anted at certain parts i.e the car pulling into the car park. I played the trailer and recorded in a kick drum to line it up with the event then SYPMTE locked it into position so it couldn’t move. Used the Franabsil  hit point calculator also to make sure that the hit points were precise.  I also coloured coded it so it was easier to differentiate. Green meant midi and red indicated that during that hit point a special FX would be put in (audio file).

      



















 In this trailer there was a build-up of suspense from start to finish. The beginning was peaceful. To show this I used different orchestral articulation to aid with the build up of suspense. In the beginning short and sudden plucks (staccato) with the string ensemble worked very well to start it off. Also included the car pulling in sound.





In the next section below I added a trailer sound effect for when the ‘The Lions Gate’ Logo flashed on screen. This loud booming effect was put there to startle the viewer, foreshadowing what was next to coming. I doubled it with another boomer FX making it louder and with more bottom. Adding sound effects such as the chatter at the train station and the interior of the train helped to possibly make the audience more engaged as they are hearing sounds that the characters in the train and station would hear. Each of the real life sounds were faded in and out so that it sounded smooth and there wouldn’t be a noticeable cut off point I changed the articulation to pizzicato to elongate the notes to build more suspense. I played it in A minor and doubled it up two time going down an octave each time. This created a more eery feel, like something significant was going to happen.

Using orchestral strings made the trailer more suspenseful. If I was to just use electronic sounds that could work too however that would be more suitable for a film with high-tech or sci-fi. But as it is set a city I could have added more urban elements to make it sounds more authentic. Possibly more drums or even made it a hip hop feel with orchestral instruments on top.


The next section below was when the suspense was nearing it’s peak. To transition from the previous part to this I left a little silent gap which was then filled in with the fast train sound effect. Then all the sounds swooped in at once. I had the original pizzicato string ensemble in three different octaves but now with a hard synth massive pulse affect with gave the track more intensity, showing the audience that things were getting more serious now. I also added a dynamic string ensemble utilizes the lower basses for more low end and more bass. With the woodwind ensemble I stretched out the notes using legato for more variety. I wanted to experiment with using all 3 orchestral articulation and it word nicely. I feel like without the different articulations the track would lack feeling and lose its power.

Comments